Jane Elizabeth Watkins Cohen Nutrition Education
Established in 2001 as the first $1000 endowed scholarship by Jane Elizabeth Watkins Cohen, Ph.D., R.D., L.D., and her husband, Robert S. Cohen, Ph.D., of College Station to assist with a nutrition education activity. Some of Dr. Cohen’s positions over 25 years with Texas A&M University included: 1) Expanded Nutrition Program Specialist with the Texas Agricultural Extension Service and 2) Health Education Coordinator and Nutrition Specialist at Beutel Health Center. She was 2001-03 Texas Academy Foundation Director, 2001 Texas Academy Distinguished Dietitian, and received the 1997 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Anita Owen Award for Innovative Nutrition Education for the Public. The recipient must be:
- A resident of Navarro County or Brazos County is given first consideration, then
any other student may be awarded this scholarship
- An undergraduate, graduate, internship, or continuing education student enrolled at Texas A&M, University of North Texas, Navarro Junior College, Texas Tech University, Texas Woman’s University, or Sam Houston State University – in that order.
- Preference should be given to an applicant who plans to conduct a nutrition education activity or participate in a research project or event.
- Funds may be used for tuition, educational materials, supplies, copying, books, samples, computer usage, display materials, registration fees.
- The student should submit an abstract to Texas Academy FNCE for review as a presentation or poster session. A copy of the abstract and picture from the activity shall be mailed to the Foundation Director.